Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Maori Moko Tattoo Designs

Maori Moko Tattoo DesignsThe Maori are the native inhabitants of New Zealand whose ancestors were migrants from the Eastern Polynesia. The Polynesian arrived at New Zealand between AD800 to 1300 in several waves. Therefore the unique Maori tribal tattoos have been long time existence and are originated from the Polynesian cultures and arts.

Ta moko, refers to tattoo in the Maori language, is a traditional spiral lines carved on the human body by the Maori tribe. The instrument used for carving the skin was usually a serrated or a sharp-edge bone chisel, and the process in creating tattoos was extremely daunting, painful and long. The wearer would have to fast and stay away from eating solid foods until the wounds on the face were fully healed due to excessive pain induced by any movement. To the Maori tribe, tattooing was a sacred event. It was usually done together with the traditional flute music performance and poems chanting in order to help the wearer eased the pain while the skin was cut extensively with curved patterns.

The ancient Maori men usually wore ta moko tattoo arts on their faces, buttocks and thighs. The women would carve their Polynesia tattoo lines on the chins and lips. All these Maori tribal tattoos were visual signs that convey the wearers' tribal identity, social status, family ranking, ancestry and spirituality. This practice has been there for over one thousand years. Only the prominent Maori group wore body arts, and for those who did not wear any ta moko were considered to have no social status. If you decide to wear ta moko, be sure to pick a design that does not carry any special attributes of the Maori tribe.



Modern Polynesia tattoo designs are great expressions of uniqueness, style and fashion, and they have become increasingly popular among body art lovers. Ta moko tattoo arts are symbol of sacrifice, bravery and respect due to their traditionally long and painful process to acquire them. Maori arts are creative and beautiful with their complex curved patterns and spiral shapes. Contemporary ta moko patterns are usually blended with Celtic tattoos to form new distinctive designs. Ta moko lines have become one of the most important sources of tribal arts around the world as Maori arts have their own uniqueness and special characteristics among the Polynesian arts.

moko Tattoo Ta Moko

Ta moko tattoo designs look superb to be worn on the shoulder rather than on the face. The most popular Maori tribal tattoos are of the medium and large sizes, and they appear in many different shapes, colors (or black and white) and styles to suit the taste of all types of body art enthusiasts.

Since tattoos will be with you to love forever, picking your perfect Polynesia tattoo patterns that give you the utmost inspiration are important. It is always advisable to pre-select your designs before stepping into the tattoo parlor. This is to prevent any last minute decision making in the parlor that may impact you for life. Investing money and time doing research on books, magazines and internet will ensure that you get the best body art option.

moko Tattoo ta moko foot

In the tattoo industry, Ta moko is also known under the tribal catagory. To me, these cultural designs mean much more than just a tattoo. Ta moko is apart of my culture. Over the last few years, I have slowly taught myself this ancestral art.

I have currently two Ta moko tattoos (which i designed myself), one on my arm and one on my back. The saying "tattoos are addictive', is definitely true. Got my first tattoo at 17. Once it healed, I wanted another. Even though it hurts a bit its all worth it when its finished and all healed. Getting a tattoo is one thing I'm never going to regret.

moko Tattoo tattooed

I wouldn't say I'm a professional at doing designs. I just draw whatever comes to my head. All my designs are original work which I just do when I am bored. One thing I'm trying to learn at the moment is to draw a design that has a meaning. The ones I have at the moment have meanings to them which symbolizes me and my family (I have the meanings on my blog).

Ta moko is one of my hobbies, and I'm looking at improving from what I have already learned. I'm planning on doing some designs on a persons personality and whakapapa (family tree). If you don't mind, it be awesome if you could leave a description and I can see what I can come up with. If you are wondering what the catch is, there's none. I'm just looking to improve and learn new techniques in my designs. So there's definitely no charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment